Lost PAN Card?
Permanent Account Numbers (PAN) are required to pay taxes in India. Besides serving as a proof of identity, it is also used for a range of financial transactions in the business world and in personal life.
Permanent Account Numbers and PAN cards are valid for life. Those who accidentally lose their PAN do not need to apply for a new one. You can, however, apply for a duplicate PAN card with the income tax department.
What is a duplicate PAN card
Duplicate PAN cards are issued by the income tax department to PAN holders when they lose, misplace, or damage their originals. Each day, people expose important documents to different dangers and then wonder how to retrieve them. The income tax department has made it very easy to get a duplicate PAN card. Let's see how it works.
How to get a duplicate PAN card
The process of getting a duplicate PAN card is very simple and easy. If the application is submitted in paper form, it must be addressed to the PAN services unit of NSDL. It is much easier and more economical to apply online for duplicate cards. Let's see how it can be done online:
- If you wish to make any changes to the existing PAN information or reprint the card (no changes to the existing PAN information), visit TIN-NSDL. (If your PAN card is lost, stolen, or misplaced, you should reprint it without changing any information.
- Enter the mandatory information and submit it.
- Your token number will be generated and sent to the email address you provided on the previous page. After you note the token number, continue filing the application.he application filing.
- Enter the necessary information in the "Personal Details" page and choose the mode of submitting your PAN application. The 3 modes available are as follows:
- NSDL PAN services unit requires the acknowledgement form generated after payment to be printed along with the copies of the documents required and sent by registered mail to the PAN services unit.
- The process of eKYC and electronic signature (Paperless) requires Aadhaar. The Aadhaar details provided in the duplicate PAN card should solely be used for this usage. The Aadhaar registered number will get an OTP for verification of the data entered. There is no need to upload a photo, signature, or any other documents. In order to e-sign the final form submitted through this method, a digital signature (DSC) will be required. iii. Aadhaar is also required for this option, but you will have to upload scans of your photograph, signature, and other documents. The application form can only be authenticated by an OTP.
- Thereafter, you have to decide whether you need a physical PAN card or an e-PAN card. When you choose an e-PAN card, you must provide a valid email address. The email address you provide will be used to receive the digitally signed e-PAN card.
- Fill in the "Contact & other details" and "document details" pages and submit the application.
- You will be directed to a payment page, and an acknowledgement will be generated once the payment is made.
- You can check the status of your duplicate PAN card using the 15-digit acknowledgement number.
- The duplicate PAN card will be sent within two weeks after the department receives the application.
Now Let’s see how it is done offline :
- Download and print the “Request for new PAN card or/and changes or Correction in PAN Data” form.
- Use BLOCK letters and Blank Ink to fill out the application.
- Mention your 10 digit PAN for reference.
- If you an individual applicant, 2 passport size photograph is to be attached and cross-signed carefully. The face should not be covered while signing.
- Then, fill up all the necessary details in the form and sign the relevant boxes.
- The application along with the payment, proof of identity, proof of address and proof of PAN has to be sent to the NSDL facilitation center. After receiving payment, a printed acknowledgement form is generated having a 15 digit number.
- The facilitation centre then forwards your application to the Income-tax PAN services unit for further processing.
- Using the 15-digit acknowledgement number, you can check the status of your duplicate PAN card.
- After the department receives the application, the duplicate PAN card will be sent within 2 weeks.
How to apply for a duplicate Lost PAN card
In India, there are different types of taxpayers, such as individuals, HUFs, and companies. Taxpayers except individuals cannot apply for their own PAN cards. Individual taxpayers are not required to have an authorized signatory on their application. The list of authorized signatories is as follows:
Category of Taxpayer
Karta of the HUF
Any Director(s) of the company
Firm/ Limited Liability Partnership(LLP)
Any Partner(s) of the firm/LLP
AOP(s)/Body of Individuals/Association of Person(s)/Local Authority/ Artificial Juridical Person
Authorised signatory as mentioned in the incorporation deed of the several taxpayers
The process of surrendering duplicate PAN cards
Income tax law prohibits the holding of more than one Permanent Account Number. PAN cards may have the same number or they may have different numbers, so there is the possibility of receiving more than one. The taxpayers need not worry about this issue. Follow these steps and submit the duplicate or incorrect PAN card to the income tax department:
- Send the letter to your assessing officer and include all the details like your full name, date of birth, information about the PAN to be retained and information about the PAN to be surrendered.
- You can speed post the letter or hand it over to the assessing officer and get an acknowledgement receipt.
- The acknowledgement receipt is proof that the PAN card has been canceled.
Duplicate PAN cards: some important points
- In case of theft of your PAN card, you need to file a police report at the nearest police station. Together with the duplicate PAN card application, the FIR copy should be sent.
- You need to mention "Acknowledgement No. - (*************) - Application for Reprint of PAN or Application for changes or corrections in PAN data" at the top of the envelope if you are mailing the acknowledgement of PAN application by registered mail.
- The application fee is Rs. 110 for residents and Rs. 1,020 for non-residents.
- You will receive the PAN card at the address listed in your Aadhar.