How to download and apply for a PAN card - What is a PAN, who is eligible, and how to enroll?
The Permanent Account Number (PAN) is an identification number given to each taxpayer in India.
Let’s understand PAN in detail:
- Eligibility for PAN
- Types of PAN
- Documents for PAN
- How to Enrol for PAN
- How to Update/Edit PAN?
- Structure of PAN
- Why do you need PAN?
A PAN number is a unique identifier for all tax-related information of a person/company. These are used across the country to store information as the primary key. Therefore, no two tax-paying entities can have the same PAN.
PAN – Overview
Name Of Authority issuing PAN
Income Tax Department, Govt. India.
PAN Customer Care Number
020 – 27218080
The inception of PAN Card
Validity Of PAN Card
Cost of PAN Card
Number Of Enrolments
25 crore (approximate)
Eligibility for PAN
PAN Card is issued to individuals, companies, non-resident Indians, or anyone who pays taxes in India.
Types of PAN
- HUF-Hindu undivided family
Documents for PAN
PAN requires two types of documents. Proof of address (POA) and Proof of identity (POI). Any two of the following documents should meet the criteria
POI/ POA- Aadhaar, Passport, Voter ID, Driving Licence
Hindu Undivided Family
An affidavit of the HUF issued by the head of HUF along with POI/POA details
Company registered in India
Certificate of Registration issued by Registrar of Companies
Firms/ Partnership (LLP)
Certificate of Registration issued by the Registrar of Firms/ Limited Liability Partnerships and Partnership Deed.
Copy of Trust Deed or a copy of the Certificate of Registration Number issued by a Charity Commissioner.
Certificate of Registration Number from Registrar of Co-operative Society or Charity Commissioner
Passport PIO/ OCI card issued by the Indian Government Bank statement of the residential country Copy of NRE bank statement in India
The Cost of PAN
We charge 499 All inclusive for the Process and Document processing support fee. Where approximately 110 Rs. is Government Fee.
How to apply for a PAN
Whether online or offline, you can apply for a PAN in 3 easy steps
- The official PAN - NSDL/UTIITSL website
- Provide your details in form 3.
- Please submit the required documents.
- Make a payment for the processing fee.
- An estimated 15-day delivery time is expected for the PAN.
Filling out a PAN update form: Do's and Don'ts
- Only capital letters should be used on the form
- Fill out all fields in order to update
- It is mandatory to provide a mobile number to receive any updates
- Complete the form in English and the local language at the time of enrollment
- Ensure only relevant and up-to-date information is entered on the form
- It is not acceptable to use salutations such as Mr., Mrs., Ms., or Dr.
- The address should be filled in completely to ensure that the PAN is delivered to you
- Self-attesting supporting documents should include your name clearly and your signature or thumbprint
- Only attach documents that support the required update
- Incorrect information and lack of supporting documents will lead to rejection of the application
Tracking PAN Applications and Transactions
The Income Tax Business Application (ITBA) has now enabled a tracking facility for transactions made with PAN for calculation of tax purposes.
PAN Card Structure
PAN cards contain information such as identity, proof of age, and Know Your Customer (KYC) guidelines. Details of the PAN card are as follows:
- Name of the cardholder – Individual/ Company
- Name of the father of the cardholder – Applicable to individual cardholders.
- Date of birth - the date of birth of the individual or the date of registration in cases of companies or firms.
- PAN Number – This is a ten-character alphanumeric number. Each character represents some aspect of the cardholder's identity.
- The first three letters – are purely alphabetical in nature and contain three letters of the alphabet from A to Z.
- The fourth letter – represents the category of the taxpayer. The various entities and their respective characters are as follows:
- A – Association of Persons
- B – Body of Individuals
- C – Company
- F – Firms
- G – Government
- H – Hindu Undivided Family
- L – Local Authority
- J – Artificial Judicial Person
- P – Individual
- T – Association of Persons for a Trust
- The fifth letter – the fifth letter is the first letter of the individual’s surname
- Remaining letters – remaining characters are random. The first 4 characters are numbers while the last one is an alphabet.
- Signature of the individual – PAN Card also acts as proof of the individual’s signature required for financial transactions.
- Photograph of the individual – PAN acts as a photo identity proof of the individual. In the case of companies and firms, no photograph is present on the card.
e-KYC with PAN (Know Your Customer)
It is mandatory to link PAN with Aadhaar to implement e-KYC and provide verification in order to receive services and benefits from the respective service providers. Many service providers require PAN for e-KYC, a service that is beneficial for the end-user as well as the government. This is why:
- Service providers may manage documents easily and efficiently through the e-KYC process, which is paperless.
- Through the secure channel of the PAN cardholder, the service provider can access information in mere minutes, avoiding long waiting periods normally incurred by physical documents.
- User and service provider information is transmitted in the form of tamper-proof digital documents sent through secure channels, which protects the information of the holder. Documents such as PAN cannot be forged, nor can they be used without the consent of both the service provider and the holder of the PAN card.
- In e-KYC, data is authorized and is legal and acceptable because it is authenticated.
- The paperless, online process keeps information out of the physical world, which makes it time-saving and cost-effective.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. How to Update/Edit PAN Details?
PAN can be updated by the following steps:
- Go to the NSDL website and select the update PAN section
- Select option “Correction” in existing PAN data
A copy of (POI/POA) supporting documents is required.
Q. How long is the PAN card valid?
The PAN is valid for a lifetime.
Q. Can a PAN card be made online?
Yes. PAN can be made online through the following steps:
- Visiting the official PAN – NSDL/UTIITSL website or at Radium Box.
- Fill the form 49A or 49AA for (Indian/Foreigner) with your details.
- Submit the required documents.
- Pay the processing fee.
- PAN will be dispatched within 15 days.
Q. Why do you need PAN?
PAN is a unique identification number that enables each tax-paying entity of India with the following:
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
- Mandatory for Filing Taxes
- Registration of Business
- Financial transactions
- Eligibility to open and operate Bank Accounts
- Phone Connection
- Gas Connection
- Mutual Fund – PAN is beneficial to complete e-KYC for mutual fund investments.
The union budget 2019 has proposed for taxpayers to use Aadhaar instead of PAN for filing income tax returns on or after 1 September 2019. It has been proposed in the union budget 2019 that the Income-tax officer can themselves allot PAN to taxpayers filing returns with Aadhaar.